The Section 508 Standards are in the process of being updated. The most current proposal in the rulemaking process, an ANPRM released December, 2011 proposes that the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0) be incorporated by reference into the Section 508 standards. http://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/communications-and-it/about-the-ict-refresh/draft-rule-2011 Until a final rule is published, agencies must comply with the current Section 508 Standards. Agencies may use equivalent facilitation to meet or exceed the current standards. This webinar will serve as an introduction to web accessibility using the WCAG 2.0 Guidelines. The webinar will introduce website developers and application programmers, web content authors and visual designers, 508 Coordinators, managers and decision makers to accessibility techniques in the WCAG 2.0 guidelines.
The webinar will do the following:
- Describe the benefits of web accessibility for people with and without disabilities
- Define the basic concepts of WCAG 2.0, its organizing principles and guidelines
- Explain the role of the W3C/WAI Guidelines in providing a technical standard for accessibility
- Explain the concepts of WCAG 2.0 and list its supporting documents
- Use WCAG 2.0 documents to support practical implementation and testing
- Explain the improvements and benefits of WCAG 2.0